Saturday, May 20, 2017

Passion Time! Construction...

Today in Passion Time the Construction group were experimenting with different materials to work out what made a stable structure that was able to stand freely.

At one station, there were straws and paper clips. At another station there were toothpicks and plasticine and at another station, there were popsicle sticks and pegs.

We found out that some materials were much easier to use than others. The most difficult materials to use together were straws and paper clips because the paper clips kept popping off. One group managed to create a standing structure by creating a triangular base and sides.

We discovered that have a central, strong core helped to stabilise the structures. We also worked out the structures required evenly distributed weight or a very stable frame in order to balance. Wide foundations were also another method that helped keep our structures stable and standing!



 

 

 

 

 


4 comments:

  1. cool structures everyone looks fun. i like how most of you made strong bases at the bottom to make them stand strong and still, marvellous
    passion time topic.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Construction is so fun, I am very happy that I chose this passion and it is very challenging at times.Last week at passion time I learned that I can take ideas off other people and turn it into 1 good idea.The straws and paper clip was so complicated and hard but me and my group finally got it standing.I am really happy with the passion I chose.
    Aditya

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooooooh, construction! It's amazing all the things that you can make just from the simplest material! It looks really great and anyone could see that. I can see just from the pictures that you guys have awesome teamwork! it looks really professional too! Play-dow, Popsicle sticks, pegs, straws and so much more! This is to miss Cocks - passion time is something that I'm really grateful for and I really enjoy it.

    Keep up the good work guys and thank you miss Cocks,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love passion time and construction too. It is soooo awesomely fun, even building the buildings. Sometimes it was hard but it was very fun and exciting. Thank you miss cocks for your time you gave so we could build our structures.

    ReplyDelete