Sunday, June 26, 2016

Fertilising For The Future with the Christchurch City Council

Last week as part of our inquiry "The Secret Lives Of Living Things, we went to the Eco Centre in Bromely for a trip called "Fertilising For The Future!" This was all about using organic waste and turning it into natural fertilisers. We layered ingredients to make hot compost and we learnt about the fermentation of food using EM Bokashi. Most exciting of all was making our own EM Bokashi mix which we were allowed to take home. At the moment, we have it at school and are waiting for it to ferment. If the mixture is just right, it will grow a white mould. If we added too much liquid to our mixture, it may grow the bad kind of mould, the bluey greeny stuff. But Chris did say if that happens 'all is not lost!' We can throw it into the garden as a fertiliser. Check out the photos below.

P.S. If you're wondering about the crazy hair and the brightly coloured clothes it was Wig Wednesday that day :)










19 comments:

  1. That was so fun but carrying the rotten banana was sick but i got used to it.
    Aditya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really interesting to make bakashi but it smells like sour vinger
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed going t the Eco depot. My favorite was making the bakashi even though it smells of rotting peaches in vinegar.
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to the people at the eco depot for teaching us about fertilising. I really enjoyed it! And a special thanks to chris for teaching us things we didn't know about fertilising. Elijah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to do that again it was so so so fun I enjoyed it a lot
    Aditya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved going and really enjoyed creating the mixture that helps break food down(i forgot what its called)but i also enjoyed learning about how to care for your garden but what i hated was bringing the rotten banana to our buckets it was so GROSS!!!!!!!!!! :p ps im brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i was there it looks fun.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Maddy liked making the bakashi, yet i think they smell like watties peaches fermenting in vinegar and salt and sugar.

    ASHWINI

    ReplyDelete
  9. It WAS SO FUN! it was interesting to make bakashi and i'm happy none of ours has grown the bad mould yet.It was funny how we got to wear hilarious wigs to the Eco depot
    preena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for taking us Miss Cocks I had so much fun! I really enjoyed learning how to make compost!
    Maia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice sentences Maia
      From CHEZ MADDY

      Delete
  11. I really enjoyed making the pacashi because we got our hands dirty and it was fun getting the ingredients.
    By Lisha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that would have been really fun and i wish i was there to experience it by Basit

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed going to the dump though my wig go a bit dirty still, i had a great time!
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked the echo depot but we had to pick up rotten bananas and that was discussing.Ody������

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was really fun making the pacashi because I really liked mixing the ingredients together even though the pacashi smelt weird.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really liked the trip because we did lots of activates all were really nice i would like to do them again-charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed going to the Eco depot I wish we could go again. Grace

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW, that.....um..... looks like a very fascinating....um... thing to do, I wish I could do it as well

    ReplyDelete